No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Monday, April 12, 2010

Race simulation on Sat.; easy run on Sun.

Saturday's workout called for a 9-mile race simulation. What that means is running six miles at an easy pace, then running the final three miles at goal race pace plus 20-30 seconds.

The workout is designed to let your body experience what it may feel like toward the end of your race and to keep your pace at a pretty good clip while tired.

The first six miles were pretty easy although it was warmer than I anticipated so my long-sleeved shirt was a little warm and I was glad to run in shorts.

However, I think it wasn't hydrated enough at the start because I got really thirsty quickly.

Anyway, my first six miles ranged from a 7:55 for the first mile down to a 7:31 for mile three.

The first six splits were: 7:55; 7:43; 7:31; 7:49; 7:50 and 7:48.

I felt great at this point. To begin mile seven I amped it up to a 7:10 pace, followed by a 7:07 for mile eight.

I was cruising along toward finishing mile nine, when I felt a cramp or tweak or something in my calf/Achilles area with about 0.5 miles to go. I had to slow down a little bit and by the end I was limping slightly. Still, I managed a 7:26 for the last mile.

Immediately after I got home, I hopped into the shower and let cold water pour onto my legs to calm down any possible inflammation. This helped a lot as did the ibuprofen I took later.

On Sunday, I felt much better although my calf was still reminding me of yesterday's workout and to go very easy for this four-mile run.

I listened to my body and ran the four miles in 32:47 or 8:12/mile pace. Later that night I got out my trusty massage tool, "The Stick" and helped smooth out my legs muscles. This morning I felt nearly recovered and hopefully with Monday off entirely, I'll be ready for Tuesday's sprint workout.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"Keeping my eye on today is about all I'm capable of. And today, I think I'll go for a run."

John Bingham, "Back to the Future," Runner's World

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment