No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A tough but fast sprint workout tonight

This is the start of the second week of my 10-week program to train for a half marathon, which you can see here. It's the one Ryan Hall used a couple years ago when he ran the half marathon in Houston in 59-minutes plus.

I have to say that tonight it felt pretty nice to run a sprint workout in shorts and short sleeves.

The workout called for five, 1,000 meter sprints or .62 miles. After each sprint, the workout calls for a 2-minute rest.

Usually sprints are done at a fairly consistent pace, but tonight was very unusual in the fact that I ran all five at 3:43 each! I couldn't do that again probably if I tried.

At 3:43, that translates to a 5:59/mile pace! Wow, I'm very pleased that I ran each of these sprints (0.62 miles is not exactly easy to sprint) faster than six minutes per mile pace. This is some good stuff for me.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"Often, the enjoyment is the training before and the memory after."

Doug Kurtis, former race director for the Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank International Marathon

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment