No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Friday, January 22, 2010

A 5-mile tempo run

Last night, I cranked out a 5-mile tempo run that was very challenging.

The first mile was easy to warm up at 8:34/mile pace, then I ramped it up to a 7:13/mile pace for the next 10 minutes. It felt good, so at mile 3, I sped up farther to 6:53/mile pace and kept that pace for the next 10 minutes.

The last 10 minutes of the run was done at an easier pace to cooldown. It was about 8:20/mile pace.

So overall, my 5 miles were done in 39:40. But the key was running that 20 minutes very hard. I definitely was tired when done and my legs felt the effort for sure.

Today, I feel very good and without the usual soreness that follows a tough run like this. I think the concept of "Run Less Run Faster" will be a good one.

Again, I plan to start the 16-week program at the end of January. I hope it will allow me to reach goals I've wanted to do for a long time.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"I ran to be free; I ran to avoid pain; I ran to feel pain; I ran out of love and hate and anger and joy."

Dagny Scott, Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment