No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Sunday, January 17, 2010

A long run on a nice Saturday, easy day Sunday

On Saturday, it was a "balmy" 38 degrees when I decided to do a long run of 8 miles.

It was the first time in weeks that there was actually dry pavement on the roads near home, so I decided to hit the road.

I really felt great, busting along the first few miles at about 7:50/mile pace, then toward the middle, I sped up a little bit to get down into the 7:30-7:35/mile pace. I kept this up for about three miles or so, then easing up to about 7:45-7:50 mile pace for the last couple miles.

Overall, my run was finished in 61:20 or 7:40 mile pace. Pretty solid, I thought.

For Sunday, I debated to take the day off from running since I was feeling sluggish, but since I ate a few more calories than I should have, I decided to get in four easy miles to burn off them off. Cross-training might have been a better option, but I still managed to get in 4 miles in about 32:50 or around 8:12 mile pace.

I purchased a new book endorsed by the Amby Burfoot, executive editor of Runners World. It's called "Run Less Run Faster" and is written by three guys -- Bill Pierce, Scott Murr and Ray Moss.

The basic premise is on more quality in running workouts, not quantity. I'm about halfway through it right now.

I'll write more about this later as I get further into my reading. So far, it's very intriguing. I may use the plan to prepare for a May or early June half marathon.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"That is why athletes are important, why records are important. Because they demonstrate the scope of human possibility, which is unlimited. The inconceivable is conceived, and then it is accomplished."

Brian Ganville, "The Olympian"

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment