No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Monday, January 25, 2010

Killer 8-miler that got me sick

Sorry for the late post here, but I got stuck working the weekend and didn't have time to blog.

On Saturday before work, I got in a tough 8-mile run, busting it out in 60:30. The pace was 7:33 per mile. I felt pretty good, legs heavy from my intense workout on Thursday, but still good.

However, I may have paid a price for running this hard, then heading into work for the remainder of the day.

I now have a head cold and it sucks. Figures just as I ramp up the training, I get sick.

Unfortunately, this seems to be common for when runners push it too hard, too fast, like it appears I did. Your immune system gets pushed to the limit because you're trying to recover from your training and sometimes you pay the price.

Looks like it's nature's way of telling me to back off a little bit. Not really what I want to do, but I'll likely take a few more days off from training so that I can get better.

So far, the cold hasn't moved into my lungs, which is what you fear as a runner since that's when you are supposed to stop running. I just hope that I can get healthy pretty quickly.

Working nine days in a row isn't going to help, but if I make it to Wednesday, when I have a day off, all I have to do is work Thursday, then it's a three-day weekend.

I'm going to need it.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"My philosophy on running is, I don't dwell on it, I do it."

Joan Samuelson

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment