No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Saturday, January 9, 2010

New GPS watch and Yak Traks


Today was a very exciting day!

I got to do my long run outside (four layers on upper body plus two hats) although it was very cold about 17 degrees at the start and 12 degrees when finished. I managed to get in close to 8 miles in around 62:30 or about 7:50/mile pace! I also have to say, this was not a hard run, rather it was fairly easy. I'm very encouraged at what lies ahead for 2010 if I can stay healthy and injury-free year.

This was the first time I tried out my new GPS watch that shows among other things how fast I'm running, how many miles and the pace. I had some problems at first figuring out how to use it, but finally I think I have the hang of it.

I also made a stop at Achilles Running Shop in Mentor this afternoon on our way back from the Disney on Ice show in Cleveland. I purchased a pair of Yak Trax, which help you get a solid grip on packed ice and snow. They just slide over your shoes and presto! Since the city doesn't salt our road, this is a very handy item to have.

The Yak Trax are way better than the old Ice Stablicers I have. These Yak Traxs are much lighter and fit on my shoes a lot better. I can't emphasize enough what an improvement this is over my previous system. Wish I would have had then during the 5-miler on New Year's Day!

Now that the holidays are over, I'm hoping to have a little more time to blog every time I run. I've missed a couple days when I've run, but didn't make a post. Hopefully, that will change immediately.

During the past week, I've been running lightly (still recovering from the soreness from the 5-miler), but getting a lot of strength training in. I'm really noticing some results. My core strength is already about 4 times stronger than 3-4 weeks ago.

My upper body strength is increasing too, with very high reps so that I don't build mass, rather strength and definition. Working my legs and hips also has paid off. I'm noticing on my long runs, I'm still pretty fresh when I'm done and my hips and legs are holding up for longer periods of time without tiring. I attribute it directly to the strength training!

Today's quote from Runners World is perfect!

"Running is a kind of investment in yourself."

The Runner's Book of Daily Inspiration, Kevin Nelson

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment