No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Feeling stronger, faster

Today was nice to have the day off work, since I had to work during the last weekend.

I took advantage getting in some strength training before I embarked on a 5-mile run. I tried something new adding in a set of leg presses. I think the last time I did a set was back in high school, gulp 21-22 years ago.

I started with very little weight, since I had no idea how it would affect me because I planned to run later. But it actually felt really good and energizing! I also did some hip abducter strength exercises for the second time in two weeks. It feels like I'm getting stronger in my legs, allowing me to run faster.

I also worked in three sets of shoulder press and lateral raises for the upper body. Good stuff!

For the run, I started slowly busting out the first mile in 8:48, picked up the pace to about 7:40/mile, then finished up the bulk of the run at 7:30/mile or faster. The last three minutes I ramped it up to about 7:06/mile.

So the last for miles were run at an average of 7:28/mile pace, ultimately finishing at 38:32 for 5 miles or 7:42/mile.

The best part of this run was that for the most part, it felt fairly easy. I hope this is a sign of things to come. I'd love to train in the low 7-minute mile range and have it feel "easy". Perhaps by spring, I'll be able to train in the high 6-minute mile range and start running some races at a sub-6 minute pace. Wouldn't that be awesome just as I'm turning 40!

With this in mind, I felt this Runners World Quote of the Day was perfect:

"I run with my head, my heart and my guts, because physically, I don't think I've got a great deal of talent or ability. I started at the bottom and worked up."

Steve Jones, former marathon world record holder

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment