No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Day 5-miler in Erie, Pa., approaches

With the holidays in full swing especially Christmas traveling, my time has been limited along with my Internet access, so it's been a while since I posted. I'll just give a brief synopsis of what's been going on with my training.

I've been running very consistently, and three days in a row were outside on Christmas Day (3.5 miles? in 30 minutes); post Christmas Day (a hard 5.1 miles in 38:10 for 7:29/mile pace) and following that up the next day (7.6 miles in 60 minutes for 7:53/mile pace!).

Last night I decided I'll do the 5-miler on New Year's Day (10 a.m. start!) unless there is heavy snow. I'm doubting I'll set any speed records, but it will be fun to get out and race with some other crazy people like me.

In the process of making that decision I did an easy, easy 30-minute run -- 8:52/mile pace. Just to taper off a little bit from all the hard training during last weekend and so that I could be fresh.

I also got to try out a new pair of runner's short that Santa gave me. Has a pocket in the back to carry my iPod. It worked great! Hardly noticed it was there and I didn't have to hold it during my treadmill run.

I'll try to make sure I post my race results as soon as I find out how I did on New Year's Day.

Runners World Quote of the Day ... I really like this one:

"When you have the enthusiasm and the passion, you end up figuring how to excel."

Deena Kastor, U.S. Olympic Marathoner

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment