No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Monday, December 14, 2009

Four-miler, core and strength

I didn't get the chance to run Sat. or Sunday due to work, so I was definitely fresh for tonight's workout. Sometimes, it's really nice to have a few days off from running to let the body and mind recover.

I started the night with a 5-minute elliptical warmup, then hit the weights for a chest workout, 3 sets each of chest press and fly.

Then I asked the gym trainer on hand for some suggestions for lower abdominal workouts and she gave me some good suggestions. I'm not sure what they are called or really how to describe them (maybe a future post), but I know this is certainly an area to improve. If I can make gains in strength in the core this winter and spring, I feel like it will lead to faster racing times next year.

After killing my abs, I hit the treadmill for 4 miles and finished in 30:10 or 7:32/mile pace. I ran the last two miles at 7:13 or faster including the last three minutes at 6:53/mile pace. Felt great. Lots of sweat too.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"This is not about instant gratification. You have to work hard for it, sweat for it, give up sleeping in on Sunday mornings."

Lauren Fessenden, marathoner

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment