No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Sunday, March 21, 2010

50-minute tempo run

On Saturday, I decided to do a 50-minute tempo run that included 10-minutes of warmup at an easy pace and a cooldown of 10 minutes at an easy pace.

The 40 minutes in between was some pretty hard running, but not full-out effort.

Here are the splits:

Mile
1 = 7:55
2 = 7:29
3 = 7:24
4 = 7:24
5 = 7:04
6 = 7:25
6.6 = 5:07 (8:31 mile pace)

Total was 60 minutes for 6.6 miles which is a 7:34/mile pace. On the surface that might not appear that fast, but I'm considering the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes were done at an easy pace.

Some of the mile paces were done at times faster than seven minutes, a few times including mile five I was running at a 6:45/mile pace, but I got stuck at a traffic light and had to stop for about 10 seconds while cars passed, if not for that I would have run that mile faster than seven.

At one point, I looked at my watch at 6.2 miles (10-K distance) and my time was 46:28, which was only 28 seconds slower than my 10-K from the race last weekend. At that point in my running I was in cooldown mode!

It's nice to be healthy and not running in cold, windy and wet conditions, for sure.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"It should make us proud to know we are part of a running lineage that stretches back from the original Olympic Games in 776 BC to this very moment."

Michael Sandrock, Author and runner

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment