No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Unplanned 10-mile run tonight!

Got home shortly after 6 p.m. tonight and no one else would be home for an hour or so. That meant I could do a long run, but I originally planned to do maybe six miles.

I set out determined this would be an easy run and after four miles, I coasted along at just under an 8-minute mile pace. I felt great and it was nice outside so I decided to do another four miles, but at around mile six, I figured what the heck, why not do four more and make it ten?

So I did and I never really slowed down much. Here are my splits ...

Mile
1 = 8:09
2 = 7:59
3 = 7:49
4 = 7:54
5 = 7:49
6 = 8:01
7 = 7:57
8 = 7:54
9 = 7:56
10 = 7:52
10.16 = 7:44 mile/pace

Totals are 10.16 miles in 1:20:39 for 7:56/mile pace. Not bad for a Wednesday!

Pretty neat doing a long run in the middle of the week. Never have I run more than 10 miles on a weeknight. Not even when I trained for the Cleveland Marathon in 2007. Strangely, it's been a few hours now since I finished, but I'm not overly tired. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Anyway, it was good to get in this long run, since I raced last weekend and last week I was sick a little bit, so I didn't get much mileage in. I guess my body and mind were just ready to do a little bit more than usual today.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"I run almost every day and love it. I need to stay lean for my sport, and I tend to build bulk and muscle easily. Running helps me stay stringy."

Apolo Ohno, Olympic speed skater

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment