No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Sunday, March 28, 2010

12 mile run on Friday

Since I had the day off for my 40th birthday, I decided what better way to celebrate than to run 12 miles at the Ashtabula Metroparks Western Reserve Greenway Trail!

The first six miles were pretty easy, cruising along at about a 7:53 mile pace. Little did I realize was the strong wind propelling me from the back.

When I turned around at six miles even, I let out an "ugh". Suddenly there was this stiff wind in my face, perhaps 20-30 mph and I was six miles away from my car.

Plus, I had forgotten that the first six miles is slightly downhill most of the way.

So now I'm running mostly uphill with a tough wind in my face.

Needless to say, my run back was slower.

I won't bother listing all the splits, but total time for the 12 miles was 1:39:09.

After typing that number, I realize my pace was 8:15 for the entire run. Not too bad considering this is my longest run of the year.

Translating that to a half marathon would be somewhere around a 1:48. I guess that's really not too bad for a long casual run on a Friday afternoon.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"The true runner is a very fortunate person. He has found something in him that is just perfect."

George Sheehan

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment