No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Erie 10-K race day experience (Updated)

Updated: 6 p.m.

Turns out I finished 7th in my age group out of 25 and 51st overall out of 257. I'll take it.

I also forgot to mention the very nice fleece blanket that was given to everyone who completed the Erie Runners Club Winter Series. That was finishing the Turkey Trot in November, New Year's Day 5-miler and today's race.


Original post:

After not running since Tuesday due to illness, I wasn't sure what to expect this morning at the Erie Runners Club St. Patrick's Day Distance Festival that included a 10-K and 5-K.

Some brave souls ran both races, such as my friends Heather and Dan Cass. I chose to just run the 10-K.

For the most part, the weather was the biggest factor for many runners and their results. The course was a 6.2-mile out-and-back loop. Most runners had strong runs for the first half of the race with strong gusty winds from Lake Erie at their back.

At the turn around point, just slightly before the 3-mile mark, runners then were faced with stiff winds that really did a number in sucking the energy out of you. Rain also started to come down during the last half of the race, nothing too hard, but enough to make it hard to see out of my glasses.

My first three mile splits were an average of about 7:10 per mile. But the last 3.2 miles were a different story. The average for the last portion of the race was 7:40 per mile. It's really hard to keep your pace when the wind is gusting around 30 mph on you.

Anyway, my overall time was 46:00 flat, which is a 7:25/mile pace. I finished 51st overall and not sure what place in my age group, but not high enough to win an award.

I'm pretty happy with everything considering the conditions. I've run faster than this in the past, for sure, but considering I just got over an illness and the weather wasn't great, it was a pretty good day.

At least I feel pretty healthy now.

When I see official results, I'll post a link to them.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"I don't know how the creative process works, but it always seems, as I'm running...that thoughts start coming in; sentences start coming in."

Robert A. Caro, biographer

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment