No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Awesome tempo run

Got in a great tempo run tonight spanning 5.25 miles. Squeezed between a mile warmup and a 1.25-mile cooldown were three hard-paced miles.

The energy level was there today so I amped up the speed for these three miles to a 6:53/mile pace for the first mile. This was probably just a tad too fast, so I dropped down to 6:58/mile pace for the last two miles.

It's been a long time since I did a training run that included sustained pace faster than 7-minute miles.

I was definitely feeling the lungs burn and the legs felt great. This type of run is what really makes a difference for me when it comes to running 5-Ks.

For me, running 10 miles isn't that difficult and neither is running sprints at a quick pace.

But the workout combination of endurance, plus speed goes a long way toward improving race times for me. We'll see how it might translate to next Thursday's 5-K Turkey Trot in Erie, Pa.

Runners World Quote of the Day:

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you."

Aaron Douglas Trimble, Runner

Happy running!

P.S. Check back on Friday night for news about a big sale coming up at Achilles Running Shop in Mentor!

No comments:

Post a Comment