No pain, no gain ... Mile 21 of the 2007 Cleveland Marathon

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Speed doesn't kill/Erie Runners Club Turkey Trot

With not a lot of time to spare this evening due to babysitting duties at home, I finally got out to the gym for a speed workout on the treadmill just after 9 p.m.

I decided to do 6x200 intervals with 1-minute recovery jogs. After a 1-mile warmup at 9:06 pace, I did a little stretching, then got ready to amp it up.

The 200s were run between 5:49 and 5:43/mile pace, more toward the latter for the final four intervals. Felt great, like I could have gone even faster pace, but this was good for tonight. I finished up with a 1.25 mile cooldown at about 8:00/mile pace.

Earlier in the day, I signed up for the 5-K for the Erie Runners Club Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I'm stoked since last year I couldn't run it due to a sprained ankle from furniture moving. It wasn't my fault, ask my wife :-)

The Runners Club is expecting more than 2,000 runners combined for the 10-K and 5-K with the race director indicating he expects this year to be the largest crowd ever.

Registration online closes Nov. 19 at 9 p.m. So if you haven't registered for either race, do it now. You can also register the day of the race, but aren't guaranteed a shirt or sweatshirt.

If weather conditions are good (which they rarely are this time of year), the course is ripe for a good finishing time. For the 5-K it's completely flat and is an out and back course. It's probably similar for the 10-K, but I'm not sure since I haven't done that race.

I enjoy the 5-K especially because you get to see all the runners (and walkers too) at some point and any cool costumes people are wearing. Most of the time, people are cheering you on and it's a lot of fun.

Fewer than nine days to go until race day! By the way, if you're planning to run something on Thanksgiving drop me an e-mail or post a comment. Would love to hear from you. I'll also publish your results on this blog if you like.

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment